Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blog Post # 4

Blog Post # 4




Scott Mcleod is a professor in the Educational Administration program at Iowa State University. He also is the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education. On his blog, he is basically telling people that are scared to let there child have access to internet, that they are going to be left behind in the future of education. I agree that kids do need to be literate about computers but I can also see why parents can be hesitant to allow their kids access to the internet. If used in the wrong way, they can be harmful. However, so can alot of things such as giving them the keys to their first vehicle. You just have to teach your kids the correct way to use things. Teach them wrong from right.


On the video The iSchool initiative (Mobile Learning), Travis explains how schools can use an iPhone app. It's called iSchool, with many apps to school relative things such as having the periodic table on it. It basically has everything that deals with school in it. It even has school menus.

I agree that this could be very helpful. However, I do believe we still need pencil and paper. We should not just get rid of that all together. It would be best to join both together for the future.

I really enjoyed the Watch The Lost Generation video. It showed you two different ways you could view things. It had a positive view on life and a negative look at it. One of the differences was on families staying together. First it come through all the ways you could look at it from a negative way. Then the list was reverse coming back up showing the positive way to look at it.

Jennifer Chamber's post tell's how she put the choir together over the internet. Her point is that she put the choir together without them practicing together. As you can see in the video, they are people that song a song at different places. I think it just another example of how great the internet can be used.

In the video Teaching in the 21st Century, it tells how internet options such as Twitter, Google, Audacity, and many more can be used to help in the classroom. One thing the video wanted the viewers to realize was the difference in entertainment and engagement. One difference is that entertainment is short-lived and engagement can be long-lasting. I do see the difference in how that is true. Engagement can be fun also. I know I use google more than anything. Just about any question you have can be found on it. I believe that website can be used in the 21st century for any subject.

5 comments:

  1. Jude,

    I also think the iSchool initiative could be a great idea, and I believe the students would greatly benefit from this; however, I am also quite traditional in my schooling. I like pencil and paper, but I also love my Mac. :) I think it would be a great idea to integrate all tools and teach the students how to use these different resources that are available. You had some great ideas in your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's my punctuation Ms. English Teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah… it was pretty good. I see a few things that you could change, but overall, it looks great. Why do you ask?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I do not know how to use it correctly. I need some pointers on a few things. Actually, more than a few.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh well I think your punctuation is pretty good! :)

    ReplyDelete