Thursday, April 28, 2011

Special Assignment

 Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them
Before I go any further let me give you Wikipedia's definition of a metaphor.

Metaphor is the concept of understanding one thing in terms of another. A metaphor is a figure of speech that constructs an analogy between two things or ideas, the analogy is conveyed by the use of a metaphorical word in place of some other word. For example: "Her eyes were glistening jewels." Metaphors compare things without using "like" or "as."



1.Why do I think I missed the metaphor?  I missed the metaphor because I did not care about what I was reading.  Another words, I did not take time to really understand what he was talking about. I started reading it and just thought it was a dumb story instead of taking time to see what he was talking about.  Sometimes I just want to be finish with the assignment so I don't take the time to look deeper into it.

2. What metaphors have I come across?  Well looking at the glass half empty or half full is common.  I have also come across some in the bible.
John;27-28
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish , neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 

  Not talking about  sheep!!!  Talking about Christians following Jesus.
Metaphors are all in the bible.  Read it and you will see how they are used.

 http://www.biblestudytools.com/kjv/
 

 3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?  We could use them.  We could teach the students about metaphors and why we use them.  You could have a simple test that has metaphors on it.  Then ask the kids what the metaphor is and why is it used.

4. Why do we use metaphors?  We use metaphors to get a point across.  We use them so that another person can understand something better.   This way they can get a different view about something.  If you see something that maybe is more relative to you it might help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment