Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mr. McClung's World Special Assignment

1.)Mr. Mc Clung's World is Mr. McClung's blog. He has things on there such as ways to help with a fundraiser for Susan G. Komen, his assignments for his class, his syllabus, and much more. Until I seen this blog I really did not understand that I can use a blog for the same thing when I become a teacher. I knew that's Dr. Strange uses his blog for our EDM310 class, but it really never sunk in that I can do that too. Mr. McClung's blog showed me that parents and students can have access to everything that's going on in the class anytime via the internet, which is what he's say on his welcome link. That way you can never lose assignments or not know what is going on in the class. A parent can get on there and see what there child is learning on a day to day basis.
2.)  I think think that Mr. McClung  is a good teacher.  Any teacher that would take the time to have all these different options on his blog shows that he cares.  I think that is one of the most important things you can have as a teacher.  You have to care.  That is true about any job but it's really true for a teacher.  Mr McClung has all this on his blog for his students. 
3).  Mr. McClung's rules start off by telling you that you need to have energy when you come to class and a positive attitude.  I think that is a good thing to say because your students need to be alive and not asleep in class.  He understands that he needs them to be ready to learn when they come.  The next two things that he tells you is to talk and listen.  I believe he say's this because he want's his students to interact with each other.  I believe this will also give him a good connection with students.  The more they are interacting the more they will learn from each other(including Mr. McClung).  His other rules are basic rule's such as raise your hand to speak and raise your hand to leave your seat.  He also has a rule to make your teacher happy.  I will have to use that as one of my rules when I become a teacher.
4).  Planner is the first thing under what everyone needs.  I believe he put this first is because before you do anything you should have a plan.  The planner can keep everything organize so that student has the option of keeping things in order.  This can be important if there is ever any trouble on assignments in the future.
 5). Mr. McClung gives the penalties for being late on assignments on his blog.  Mr. McClung's students will lose a letter grade for each day that assignment is late. While I'm not sure if that is exactly the same as Dr. Strange's penalty for late assignments, I understand that you do not need to be late on his assignments. I remember reading on Dr. Strange's blog that if you keep being late on assignments that you will be taking EDM310 again.  I know that u get a D or F for the assignment's that are turn in late for Dr. Strange.
6).His blogging is to allow readers to keep up with the "current happenings" in his classes and his cross country traveling class.  He also states that all comments are welcome.  I can see how that can be helpful.  When I become a teacher I will have something like this so that I too can have interactions with not only my students but their parents.  Communication is really important an I believe Mr. McClung understands this.
  7). I click on two of his useful links. The first one was ant which is a search bar website. The second link I click on was Arkansas Department of Education which is a website that focuses on bettering Arkansas's education. These both can be helpful for his students and parents.
8).  I believe Mr. McClung put the internet rules because he knows that that it can be abused.  If use right the internet is a really great tool.  If used wrong it can be the opposite.  There are things on there that can be harmful to a child's imagination.  Today we live in a society where we sometimes can get reality and fantasy mixed up.  Radio and television's is part of that reason.  Internet can do the same thing.  There are sites that can put thoughts in the students mind that should not be there.
9).  One of the post that I reviewed was the guys singing "Hero".  This post showed me to do things that will be fun for the students.  I think you should reward your students for the work they put in.  This video looked like it was fun for the guys on the stage and the crowd.  Then to show it on the blog was cool to.  They can always have this to look back at since it is now on the internet.  I wish I could look back at SOME(not all) of the things I did in school.
10).  One thing that I like about what he has on his blog is the links that do into different topics. There is a category button that has different options to choose from. I do not know how to do that on my blog. I would love to know how to have options for someone to go into on my blog.There is also a option to play a song on his blog. He uses it for education purposes also. This week he uses it to tell a slavery story which is what he about to teach dealing with the Civil War. I would like to know how to do that also.
11).  Mr McClung uses his post to help in ways such as having Arkansas's history on there.  I'm sure that can be helpful for someone in Arkansas.  It could help the parents feel more comfortable in helping their children if they know what they are talking about.  This site about Arkansas is one thing that they could read to help with that.  I can use his sight's to understand how I can help my students and thier parents in the future.
12).  I think that Mr. McClung's blog is more advanced then the other blogs that I have look at.  While they all have the same goals as in communicating and allowing access to what going on, his blog goes deeper than that.  I do not recall any other having a song of the week on theirs.  To be honest with you I don't know how he has time to put everything on there.  If not already, before long he will have to hire someone to do his blog.
13).  To be honest with you I cannot think of too  many things that you could put on that blog that he does not already have.  I feel stupid commenting on his blog, much less giving suggestion's for him.  I would have a column for each student like he does for archives and category, if I was to do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment